Bad,

I do not have the breadth that some have with grips here, but as I have made and fit quite a few (most recently to my FA) I would say you are on the right track here.

One thing that stick's in my mind is the analogy I read many years ago. Traditional SA Army type grips are like holding a funnel. Skinny at the top, wide at the bottom. Not trying to be a heretic here, but the funnel may not be a great shape to hold when the forces are pushing down at the top.

I really like mine wider at the top, with a good cross section at the back. The gun does need to roll by design but finding that good medium between rolling and control can be tricky. The grips that Whit posted are much like I end up on my hand fitted ones. A little swell in the center to fill the hand, and a little less material on the bottom to allow a good fit when gasping wih both hands.

I think this fit including the off hand is often overlooked. Traditional SA and even the Bisley were designed back when folks hung on with one hand, and the power level was pretty small. I round butted my FA many moons ago, before FA came out with the option. The rounded front and back really allow a nice two hand hold for my size hands.

Don Collins at Collincraft grips:

http://www.collinscraftgrips.com/kits.php

He offers some variation of semi-finished grip kits. I did not see the Bisely listed, but he helped me out years ago with semi-fitted ivory for my FA. If you are at all handy with shaping wood, you could see if he could help with a kit that you could try shaping. Then if the final finish is tricky for you, perhaps send these shaped grips to someone to do a full custom?

Craig

Last edited by Bearbait in NM; 04/15/2014 5:06 PM.

Northern born and Southern bred