If deer is on the menu, you can pretty much use any bullet. Thin skin, narrowly and lightly built, so it is a non-issue. I assumed that if you are using a heavy hardcast bullet, you have larger game on your mind. For the speed you seek, I would probably use a gas check, however, I wouldn't personally push them that fast as they will be operating out of their optimal range. Some powders, like 296/H110 do work best at the top end of the load range, no doubt. There are better bullets designed to operate at the velocities you seek. I personally load for accuracy first and foremost, and let the velocity fall where it is. JMHO. [/quote]
So do I, it just happens to be hot. I really appreciate your frankness as that is what I am looking for. I have a good jacketed load but they can be a little pricier (yah I shoot a 454 and worry about $$$)plus the hardcast are just more available, the extra speed doesn't bother me either. No right now just a deer hunter but IMO you cannot hit them hard enough and I am not one to wait for a picture perfect broadside op. You speak of better bullets, what might they be? Currently using the cast performance HC and the Hornady XTP mag. Wish Freedom had never discontinued their 300 gr factory bullet, that was perfect!