Originally Posted By: RandyB
I have been using a G1 Longhunter for about 7 years.
I also use a 6-man tipi and stove. In my opinion, this gear allows one to go further into the backcountry in relative comfort. Especially if you are going to carry heavy loads without the benefit of trails.
Last summer my partner and I hauled my bear out of the North Cascades for 9 miles. 5 miles was no trail just bushwhacking back to the nearest trail on the map. We hauled out the full hide and every once of boned out meat...packs weighed somewhere north of 100#. While not a fun time, the Kifaru packs allowed us to make only one trip out of some very gnarly country. I will likely never use any other brand of pack.

Randy,

Welcome aboard, and thanks for reminding me of some miserable times bushwhacking with overloaded packs in the North cascades. I can even guess your thinking.....This is gonna suck, so lets get it all in one trip. I always wanted the hide, so my pack was usually close to a 100. Problem is that this was back before the high tech gear. My Coleman pack with plastic frame was supposed to be high tech. With the load flexing and bouncing, the pack usually led the way, we me just doing a poor job at steering....

Don't do a lot of backpacking anymore, but I do check out gear from time to time. My daypack does well, but I really should get a new "real" backpack.

Craig

Northern born and Southern bred