I hunt lower NY (where the land make-up starts to transition from rural "real" NY to NYC suburbs). The land here is somewhat hilly and rocky with plenty of centuries-old stone walls and overgrowth from long-neglected farms; from the agrarian past, there are also many acres of laid-over fields. There is a variety of habitat and food sources, both natural and man-grown. We are restricted to relatively shorter range
weapons here (slug shotguns, handguns, M/L's). Excluding archery (which is a whole different ballgame), my typical gun shots range from 10 to 130 yds. I get by admirably with a custom SRH 7.5" .454 Casull and with it have eaten every year since I committed to it. It used to wear a VX3 2.5-8x; it was changed to a straight 2x when I realized that I never went any higher than 2x.

I also hunt the lower Catskills at my lease. More jagged but otherwise similar terrain, but there is a possibility for a 200+ yd. sometimes. I look forward to breaking in my 30/30 bbl up here this season.

Long story short, almost every deer I've killed with a gun has been shot within 65 yds.