The season for me is winding down. It was a season of many changes in the fact that this past summer my wife and I moved into a new home and my parents did the same within a month of that time. So I wasn't able to devote a huge deal of time scouting and preparing.

This year that is huntable to go after deer. I hunted the whole season for deer and did not see a thing. Later during the muzzleloader season I found out why.

I have been hunting this spot for almost thirty years with the bow and sometimes gun. I was elated at the chance to hunt with a handgun for deer this season but it was more or less for naught. I ran into another hunter who has permission at the same spot. We chatted for a while and I found out some bad news.

He told me that the neighboring orchard shot over a dozen deer. I guess they used crop damage permits so the little deer haven that once was is now decimated. We don't have a lot of deer per square mile. In our area we're probably at 15 or less. With those deer gone no wonder I did not see a thing all season long. In fact my trail cameras indicate that as well. We did have some snow on Thanksgiving and I saw three sets of tracks passing through. For years you could count on seeing deer but no more.

It looks like I will have to make some kind of change for 2015.

I still have until December31st with the muzzleloader but it ain't looking good.