Opinions vary on using hardcast bullets on thin skinned game like deer. There are pros and cons.

I use 185 grain Beartooth WFNs in a 10-inch Contender. I have killed 3 deer with this load. I like it because it shoots fast and flat and increases the effective range. I am 3 for 3 with this bullet.

I can say, however, that in two of the three cases that I had nil for a blood trail because of the lack of expansion. The deer with a decent blood trail was losing out of her nose. In every case it was complete pinhole-like pass through except there was a quarter sized exit hole. None of them ran far at all.

As in any case, shot placement is the key. I plan to stick with them. I like the ability to take shots at angles I would not take unless I was using a really good jacketed bullet. That where I still see an advantage with the WFN in that they cost considerably less than higher end jacketed bullets.

My son zipped one of these through a cow elk. It worked like a charm.

I have in the past also taken deer with a 686 using 158 grain FP/XTP at closer ranges on broadside shots. That said, I am hanging with the Beartooth bullet for reasons I have stated.

Post Tenabras Lux