Originally Posted By: 98Redline
Not to further derail the thread....but this is the reason why I consider a double action to be almost a requirement for a backup gun. I want something that I am able to unholster and fire with a minimum of gyrations required. While cocking a single action may be second nature, if you are actively trying to keep a bear off of you with one hand, the hammer cocking action may be a bigger hurtle than is surmountable, pulling the trigger might be as well but I would like that as an option.

This is another good reason why short barrels are preferred. The 7 1/2" SBH can be unwieldy when trying to work it around close to your body.

While the 7 1/2" has it's merits, a close encounter back up gun is probably not one of them. I agree and think the shorter barrels are ideal for this purpose, in my opinion a 4" being about ideal, long enough yet short enough too. I am lucky enough to have 2 to pick from, a 4" Model 29 and a 4 5/8" SBH. Cocking the hammer is second nature to me, but in a close encounter back up gun needed situation I can see where a DA can be the difference between being mauled and not being mauled.