Originally Posted By: FAH
Rap, I highly recommend Max's book , Big Bore Revolvers. In that book he discusses the virtues of cast bullets, and Gary contributes a good read on JHP's. Get the book if you don't already have it.

Yeah, I have the book, and have read it many times. Great read! Maybe I'm just not conveying my question effectively. I know how the HC bullets are designed to work, and I know how jacketed are designed to work. But what causes me the confusion is the soft hardcast. Seems like it is taking the "effectiveness" out of the hardcast design / function.

Don't get me wrong, I LOVE hardcast. It's all I shoot, except in my 460 I shoot XTP MAGS. But a soft hardcast just seems inefficient to me I guess. Maybe I just don't understand its intended purpose.

I've been looking into this a bit on the web, but can't find anything that pertains to "why" you would chose a soft hardcast, or what practical application they have. There's gotta be something-- I'm just not finding it.

I PM'd Sixshot as recommended, so hopefully he can help me wrap my mind around this concept.

Thanks all!! I LOVE THIS STUFF!!

Last edited by raptortrapper; 08/18/2015 1:13 PM.

A lot of people are like a slinky: Not much fun till you push them down the stairs!

Lifetime Member of the NRA! Wish I'd a done it sooner.