Whitworth, I agree with you 100% on their size. I shot a bull moose 2 years ago up here out of Talkeetna, and I've helped buddies clean a couple of others. I used a rifle on that one, a .45/70. I have plenty of gun in other configurations, like a .44mag in Super Blackhawk, and a rifle in .416 Rigby (grin) but I cant consistently hit good with the .44 and the .416 is so accurate and I shoot it so well it's not a challenge. I've been on this forum since 2008 and have still not taken anything with a handgun!!! That's an embarrassment and a shame, in my view. I'm just not a good, consistently handgun shot. So this is to be the year. I'm shooting the 1911 pretty well, pretty consistently, and I was hoping the penetration and energy would be there for me. Of course, caribou are on the menu too, and I know that they are well within the parameters of the 1911.

I guess I'm just going to have to go back here a couple of miles to a big beaver pond I know and get a beaver with the Kimber, just to finally get a handgun blooded. I love to eat them anyhow, they remind me of eating a young, fat black bear taken late in the fall. I can have one of the elders here in the village turn the hide into some mittens for me.

If it were supposed to be easy, they'd have sent my little sister to do it.