Well, please don't shun me from the forum, but I'll be going after elk and bears with a flintlock rifle this year. I've decided to take my Springfield XD in 45 ACP as well, and if I get within XD range, I'll use it. Otherwise, it will be backup to the flintlock this year. Didn't draw my deer tag, so may look at getting a leftover if possible come August 2nd.

I've taken big game critters with a bow, rifle, and handgun. I want to try it with a flintlock rifle this year. Next year I'll probably try a flintlock pistol of some sort, but I'm new to this flinter stuff, so wanted to learn with a rifle first. I've never shot a black powder rifle of any sort, so this is completely new to me, and I'm enjoying every moment of it. I've really learned a lot about early American history by researching the flintlock rifles, and the equipment that goes with it. I've made my own leather equipment and powder horn, just need to put it to use when the rifle gets here. I made my leather equipment out of the elk my wife shot two years ago. I'll post pictures for those interested once the rifle gets here.

This whole flintlock kick got started thanks to Dewayne (Briarhopper) and his son last summer. (Two of the best men I've ever met.) Somehow we got to talking about flintlock pistols. I got more and more enthralled with the idea of hunting with a flintlock. One idea quickly led to another, and I finally couldn't handle it anymore. I said, "That's it! I'm gonna hunt with one in 2016!". Well, Dewayne, it's not a pistol, but my Isaac Haines flintlock rifle from Jim Chambers, and built by Jack Hansberry, is due to be here the first week of July. It's all your fault I strayed!!

Now, back to handguns.....

Last edited by Raptortrapper; 06/17/2016 4:29 AM.

A lot of people are like a slinky: Not much fun till you push them down the stairs!

Lifetime Member of the NRA! Wish I'd a done it sooner.