Originally Posted By: junebug
The 300 gr Hornady works well for me on deer.J.M.H.O.

Didn't mean it wouldn't work well for deer. A lot of people say that its a good deer bullet but wouldn't be good for larger game. From my testing with it, including the test in the link below, its obviously constructed much better than people give it credit for.

Originally Posted By: junebug
I have a 12 in factory ported Contender in 45-70 and have shot it side by side with a 14 in magna ported barrel.The magna port barrel kicks a lot more. A good brake makes a BIG difference.

I really didn't notice too much difference in the recoil of my 45-70 barrels. I've shot the same load using 300gr JHP (and 300 gr Partitions)over H4198 from a 14" Contender Hunter barrel, a 12" magna-ported SSK Contender barrel and a 12" Encore barrel with no brake. I sold the Contender barrels since I prefer to limit those frames to rounds with lighter recoil. That load in all 3 barrels was very accurate and chronied in the 1900fps range.

Here's a link to the bullet test I did. As a bonus on that test day I was able to connect on a steel plate with my 45-70 at 300 yards. Not a real long shot but the longest I've done with a 45-70 so far. For some reason the inch symbol (") in the link now comes up as ”. Not sure why.

.45-70 and 375JDJ Bullet Test

Experience is the best teacher, hunger good sauce.
Osborne Russell Journal of a Trapper