On each deer I was trying to make sure I did not hit either shoulder just to see what the bullet performance was. With both deer the shoulders was not touched at all.
The first deer was quartering away from me slightly at 85 yards. I shot this deer from the standing position using the bog-gear as a quick rest. All three of the deer were still hunting, not stand or ground blind.
On this first deer my impact was about 3 inches left of what I wanted to do ideally.
Normally I would not try to get a bullet to impact here as I would like to get the offside shoulder when their quartering away from me. She went 40 yards approximately and was down
Second deer I thought was smaller than the first one but she was in tall grass versus the first deer was more in the open.
The second deer at 99 yards was actually larger than the first deer. So much for initial perceptions of size
Both Dan and I thought she was basically broadside to us.
She was not. She was Quartering toward us.
I went into a double kneeling position for the shot.
Again consciously trying to avoid the shoulder for the purpose of seeing what this bullet would do without hitting a shoulder.
I can tell you I will not try to avoid shoulders at all cost again, as both times I shot further back than I would've wanted to.
We had a blood trail all the way to her but she went further.
On both deer there were complete pass-throughs.
I didn't have anything as a reference point or a para calipers to measure the diameter of the exit wound but I would say that it was close to a double the size of the bullet diameter or maybe one and a half times I'm not sure. The exit diameter seem to be the same on both of them and neither time did the bullet hit ribs to create other damage
We are eating a late lunch in Sheridan right now and are going to go see if we can find an elk this evening.
We didn't do nearly a thorough autopsy as we did with the buck antelope as we were in a hurry to get done and get out and see if we can get lucky on an elk tonight.
So consider the information incomplete.

Ernie the Un-Tactical