Originally Posted By: jwp475
 Originally Posted By: s4s4u
 Originally Posted By: jwp475

Phil Shoemaker, killed a charging 900 pound brown bear with a 9mm all body shots with 147 grain hard cast Bullets.

The bear wasn't "charging", he was standing still in front of one of his clients when the shooting started.

If the bear was not charging, then why wasn't Phil sighted by F&G for shooting bear?

Not my concern.

"The bear was highly agitated and standing within 3 feet of my clients when I decided I could take a shot without endangering them."

I don't doubt that there was a charge by a bear at some point but that bear was not charging at the time of the first shot as you continue to suggest. If that 900 pound grizzly had been in the midst of a full on charge (your words) with adrenalin on high and a target it it's sights the end result would have been different, IMO. All three of those people would not have emerged unscathed and if the only man in posession of their "protection" had been in it's path they all may have been killed. They were lucky, very lucky. To suggest otherwise makes no sense.

Meanwhile big game hunting outfitters across the Alaskan frontier are trading in their big bore Guide Guns and 870's for short barreled single stack 9mm pistols........

Rod, too.

Short cuts often lead to long recoveries.