Originally Posted By: Whitworth
 Originally Posted By: dhom
I have shot whitetail with hardcast and if you miss that shoulder even by one inch they can go along way.

Why is this statement made so frequently? Placement is still the most vital aspect of shots on game, irrespective of caliber. And what constitutes "hardcast?" Many tend to lump them in all together and there is WAY more variety of style/design/quality in cast bullets than with commercial jacketed bullets, so in light of that, they are not all equal - not even remotely. Not picking on you dhom, there just seems to be a lot of misperception with regards to cast bullets and a palpable division among handgun hunters as to what works and what doesn't.
Whit,,,, I am not trying to start anything with the comment I made on hardcast bullets. I have used hardcast WFN almost exclusively since 1970 with good results. [hardcast to me is WFN with a BHN of 22 driven in the 1100 fps to 1300 fps range] Generally, the widest meplat for caliber. I would not argue bullet placement is key and I like to have two holes in what I shoot from almost any angle. [they work on deer size game up to elk no doubt] I do a fast autopsy on every kill and the bullet performance was what is to be expected. [2" hole straight through] The reason for my topic is because I haven't used Nosler jacketed softpoints ever and I know they are a different performer. I am trying to get a better idea of there limitations from experienced handgun hunters. I am not offended, I just thought I should qualify my post.