GOD has blessed me with an awesome season!

I took this 11 point whitetail Monday morning at a distance of around 40 yards. I hit him behind the left shoulder. He turned and ran and a second shot (offhand) at 50 yards clipped the bottom of his spine and put him down for good. He grossed 152 points with 6 2/8 deductions for a net score of 145 6/8. He field dressed around 180 lbs.

I was using a Dan Wesson chambered in 357 Magnum shooting a 158 grain Hornady JFP traveling at 1330 fps. I purchased this revolver new in 1984 with a 6" heavy ribbed barrel. I had always wanted to scope it, but couldn't bring myself to drill and tap the barrel. Last year Gary Reeder offered several Dan Wesson barrels for sale and I grabbed a 8" ribbed barrel and installed a 2 x 6 Bushnell scope.

The initial shot entered behind the left shoulder and I recovered the bullet under the skin after traveling through the right shoulder. It weighed 147 grains.

On Wednesday morning I had two mature does come out into the field at about 100 yards. I took this one at a distance of 97 yards with an AR-15 pistol chambered in 300 Blackout using a 220 grain Sierra RN traveling at 1095 fps.

She turned and ran at the shot and expired after falling about halfway down a steep hillside. A Polaris four-wheeler with a winch (Thanks Gerald!) pulled her out with no issues.

I hit her in the front of the left shoulder and the bullet exited at the rear of the right shoulder. She left a really good blood trail.

This is the exit.

NRA Life Member
HHI Member
VHA Member

"get busy living, or get busy dying"