Ive had alot but mine would be my eldest sons first handgun hunt. He went after blackbear in the gila in new mexico. We ran bears for 6 straight days. I was just physically wrecked. We happened to hunt the week of the first deluge of rain after a summer of fires. We got on an average of two bears per day. Most very long chases. Longest was 14 miles per gos and it was hell in that terrain. In the last two hours of light on the last day we got
On one last track. We ran and ran due to the failing light. He used is superior conditioning (he was a nationally ranked boxer) to keep up with the guides so who is an absolute mountain goat and took his bear in the last 10 minutes of light on a steep ravine with an iron sighted bfr 454 and shot a cagey old bear that didnt ever tree! He made a perfect one shot kill that just rolled the bear in between dogs fighting the bear off hand in failing light at 50 yards after a chase that lasted just over 9 miles in steep terrain, in the rain, in failing light at 14 years of age. I crested the ridge just in time to see the bear rolling down the ravine. Best of all we got in on video!