I had heard this a while back about the 2-6 being discontinued. I am about a twenty minute drive from them and know several of the guys well.
I asked what the heck was up with dropping the 2-6? To their knowledge, it was not true.
I will call and find out for sure.
However some of the Elite lines have been combined. Some of the Elite names and numbers have been changed. I think the 6500 will be the only one with a number now.
It is ALL on marketing and the selling point. It is the same glass and internals. Maybe some cosmetics here and there. The market is in the tacticool so go figure.
They did say sales were way way down, thus the change.

I have a lot of Bushnell glass. Most have bee in the Elite line or upgraded to that. I have a first year 2-6. It is still going strong after having been on everything from 22 hornet to 45-70. It got a regular work out for years on a couple of IHMSA guns. Elevation knobs twisted up and down on a regular basis with out a hickup. Buddy had a 2-6 on and XP that he plain wore out. Glass was clear but elevation went to crap. Two 7BR barrels and close to 15,000 rounds later. Some guys hold off, others change settings. Those that change settings, will raise and lower elevation knobs in a month, than most folks will in a life time.

The 2-6 Trophy is ok. It is not even close in glass to the Elite. Look through glass on the days you would not buy a car, cloudy,rainy and over cast. That will show you real quick why one scope is priced higher than an another.
The couple I have always worked well as far as windage and elevation repeatability. If you want one to hunt with, go the Elite series ( or what ever the new name is). You will be glad you did when you want to take that shot the last few minutes of legal time. For playing when there is good light, the Trophy will serve one well.

Is another brand better? Dunno. I have Leupolds and Burris along with the Bushnell. I have yet to have any issues with the three. The early Simmons were pretty good as were the TC scopes( I believe they were speced by TC and made by Simmons). I have had to send TC scopes back and they were always fixed, dunno about today.

I will try and remember to call and give a reply.
Jeff