Thanks for all the input guys.
1st off, though I've never attempted to take one I had two run ins with large brown bear boars just last year.
Both started out at under 20 yds, & one lasted over a minute (seemed MUCH longer) with the range varying from about 12 yds at the beginning to a max. of about 30 at one point & then back down to 20ish. No shots were fired either time. Both times I had my Mod. 29 with 320s @ about 1325 & man did I feel undergunned!!
All that said just to tell you I have met the beast & respect him GREATLY!
With that said, I do feel comfortable with the .444 for hunting purposes. If I could go pick any barrel I wanted to it probably wouldn't be my 1st choice, but I can't do that.
Mark mentiond taking a few bears with the .375 JDJ, & I know many others have. Obviously the .444 gives up nothing to the .375 JDJ at short ranges. The main problem I see is finding a bullet that will hold up to the bone/muscle mass.
I would consider a heavy hardcast but the maker of my muzzle brake (expansion chamber type) said gas-checks are a no-no with the brake.
I like the .375-06. I have a possible line on a .376 Styer tube for my Encore, but finances make that a someday thing.
But to be honest with you if I'm primarily putting together a brown bear gun I hink I might step up to something over 40 cal.
I don't know how much harder the .444 can be driven from an Encore than my Contender but I would be interested in finding out. At 200 yds I think the 375-06 or Styer would be superior, but at 150 & under I'd rather have a .429 bullet of the same weight at the same velocity if possible. Maybe the .460 S&W would do it with a .458 (better yet).

Interestingly, if you put any stock in the Taylor KO formula, the .444 with a 270 gr @ 2100 produces a value of 34.7. The 375-06 with a 270 produces the same value @ 2400.
The .444 with a 300 @ 2000 has a value of 36.7, & the 375-06 with a 300 produces the same value @ 2300, so by the Taylor formula the .444 & the .375-06 is pretty much apples to apples at short range with the same weight bullets.
Range will change that quickly with the advantage going to he .375 as the range increases of course.

As to my load, I'm using 51.7 gr of AA 1680 with WW primers. Accurate Arms suggested a max of 52.5 IF MEMORY SERVES!! Don't trust that # as I don't have it in front of me, but my load was well under max. & showed no pressure signs. Velocities were 2101, 2110, & 2101 for a 3 shot string. That is a 14" barrel with a David White brake beyond that (yes, it's ugly, but it works!).
Of course you need to atart lower & work up in your gun.

Mark, do or did you live in this part of the country (Alaska)? I'd love to read of your bear hunting adventures if you wouldn't mind sharing, as well as your recomendations for shot placement & the like.

Lastly, believe me, I have no intention of intentionally hunting brown bear with ANY single shot pistol (or for that matter any SS rifle) without proper backup with a rifle of what I consider to be a stopping caliber in the hands of someone I trust.
I bowhunt moose in this country alone with a .44 mag as my backup, & that puts my nerves on edge enough.

I still haven't figured out the picture thing, but would one of you be willing to add a picture of a brownie track with my Contender sitting beside it if I email it to you?

Vance in AK.

Matthew 6:33
"But seek first the kingdom of God and His righteousness, and all these things shall be added to you."