Each fall, the state of Georgia has an alligator hunt. Permits are issued by a quota system that requires points to be accumulated. The state is divided into hunt zones, and the better zones require at least 4 pts. to be drawn. That means at least 5 years of applications. I have been waiting since 2011 for my shot at a monster gator. This year my husband and I both drew tags.
Hunting gators in GA is different than what you may have seen on TV. Baited hooks are not allowed. The alligator must be caught, secured, and then dispatched by handgun or bangstick. Popular methods are casting snatch hooks, bowfishing, or harpoon. We used heavy fishing poles and treble hooks.
We booked a guide and a boat for two days and nights, but weather complicated our hunt. Heavy rain, lightning, and a cold front shut the alligators down. Alligators were seen, but stayed in heavy cover and couldn't be snagged.
We got six hours of sleep over the 48 hours, and spent 21 hours in the boat. Not until the last hour of the hunt, did we hook a worthy alligator. We had chased him for three hours. Sometimes he out ran the trolling motor. After one treble hook, and then another he fought the good fight for 30 minutes,taking our lines to the bottom of the river till he got tired. After we both were exhausted, the gator was raised to the surface and a crossbow bolt with a heavier line was placed in his tail. Now he was one step closer to being mine. All that remained was a bullet to the head.

Two shots from a .357 ended the fight.

The alligator measured 10' and 3/4 " and weighed approximately 275 to 300 lbs. We brought home his hide, skull, and a cooler with about 100 lbs of white meat.

Talk about one happy tired girl.