I have One 1" UltraDot, One 30mm UltraDot and Three 30mm MatchDot II Red Dot sights. So I can compare the Three pretty well.

Go 30mm you can see a lot more ground through the sight. Big Improvement, and well worth the small added expense. My 1" UltraDot came on the first used 480 Super RedHawk I bought. I still have it mounted on my CVA Optima Muzzle Loading Pistol, but every one I have bought new has been a 30mm.

NOTE: If your Super RedHawk is new, or has new unused rings you can probably swap them in for 30mm rings direct from Ruger. I have done this before.

Next consider spending a little more on a 30mm MatchDot II.
With a standard UltraDot you have only a 4 MOA Dot Size, which is not bad at all. However with a MatchDot you have several Reticle choices. The 2 MOA and 4 MOA Dots being the only ones you need to use. With a 2 MOA Dot you will get a little less BLOOM at closing time.

If you had a 2 MOA and 4 MOA Dot to look at with the Rheostat set on 1 at Closing Time, I am sure you would see what I am talking about, and prefer the 2 MOA Dot size a little better. You also get an exposed "finger turn" Elevation Dial on the MatchDot. Not a real big deal, but you might find it handy if you sand bag your gun hunting and feel comfortable making a longer shot with it. If sighted in at say 100 yards, and you get a 150 yard shot. If you have worked with your sight settings you will know how much to DIAL IN for a 150 yard shot for a Dead on Hold. Just dial in the Elevation Correction, and hold Dead On for the shot.

I also have multiple scopes. I like the Red Dots in the woods where I will normally not make shots over 100 yards.

With a 2X Scope or a 2-7 Variable I will have the scope set on 2X in the woods where shots will be normally under 100 yards.

If I have a location where a longer shot is probable I will normally be dialed up to 3X - 4X. I have I believe 5 Burris 2-7 scopes, and one lone 4X Leupold that I got a good buy on used. You can see that I like the versatility of a variable scope also.

I do have one reflex sight an EoTech that the Reticle went haywire on. I need to send it in for repair along with one of my brothers that also went South. I have an UltraDot 6 Tactical sight on my AR15 Carbine replacing the EoTech and I very well may leave it on the AR15 after the EoTech is repaired.

Bob R

Last edited by Bob Roach; 01/23/2019 1:15 AM.

See You At The Range