... I had one get away wounded that I couldn't find.

At 4:30 PM on Saturday I was settled about 30 feet up a slick pine overlooking an active scrape line. That's when I heard the crashing about headed my way. Sure enough, a nice buck was in chase behind a doe. Both deer stopped about 35 yards out to my right behind some brush. All of the sudden she bolted traveling right to left and he bounded into a shooting lane showing me his vitals. Without really thinking I fired. Down he goes ...

The Ruger pounded this deer to the ground, and I'm thinking the work is about to begin. However, I notice his head come up and before you know he's turned himself and tries to get up. I send a second round his way. Just as I ponder sending a third, he staggers into the planted pines and disappears. I think I hear him go down.

After waiting 30 minutes I start the process of tracking and at first it was great. Nice big drops of blood that lead me directly on his path into the pines. 20 yards in and it stops ... done, over, not a spec of blood, nothing. I spent 2 hours on hands and knees in 5 year old plantation pine searching. I went back the following morning and spent 2 more hours. I haven't had this happen in 18 years and it's a hard pill to swallow.

My mistakes? I rushed the shot. I didn't take a proper rest that I had readily available. I didn't send a 3rd round properly aimed and squeezed off. Just a bad job on my part all the way around. So there you go ... all laid out and ugly as it is.

Now to learn from it ....

P

PsTaN

-Smith & Wesson Model 69
-Ruger Super Blackhawk Hunter
-Encore Pro Hunter

"Hold your horses, the elephants are coming, and out stamped Alabama"