I think the fact that we frequent these types of forums puts us into what would be called the "enthusiast" crowd. I have seen guys on this and several other boards obsess over the smallest details, getting everything just perfect. The vast majority of those guys are also hand loaders. You can't get everything perfectly dialed in if you don't have control over your ammo....amirite?

Unfortunately there is a huge population of both the shooting and hunting community that don't share that enthusiasm. I hunt with several of those guys. They will go out and buy a couple of boxes of ammo for their hunting rifle and that will have them set for 2 or 3 years.
When we sit around camp, they are continually amazed that I:
1) Hunt with a revolver
2) Load my own ammunition

I am not saying that these guys are poor hunters, in fact they aren't, and generally make good shots, but they just aren't into the equipment aspect of the sport like many of us are. I suppose you can file that under different strokes for different folks.

The tactical crowd also tend not to be handloaders and to be honest, for my tactical calibers (9mm and 5.56) I really don't reload either. Bulk ammunition for those platforms are cheap enough to not warrant the time or expense of reloading those. In reality, am I going to notice that much difference in accuracy between the NATO 124gr ball ammo and the stuff I turn out on my own press when shot though a gun that is "combat accurate".

I think one other aspect is what people perceive as the difficulty of it. They think that there is this ultra complicated world of of bullets and powders, and casings, and primers, and micrometers, and scales and you must sit down and calculate out everything and all of the various combinations to make sure you don't blow yourself up. To some extent that can be true, however as we all know, you can pick up a reloading manual, or even download one, and get set up to make functional ammunition without needing the components for 10,000 different combinations of ammunition. Unless you were either very inquisitive (see enthusiast above) or had someone to show you the ropes reloading can seem like black magic.

Just my $0.02
Take that an another $5.00 and maybe you can get a cup of coffee at Starbucks.