My local gun shop came into a couple Blued Encores. A buddy of mine got the first one, a Vent Rib 45/410. I got what was left a new Blued Action. Now what to do with it?
After a lot of thinking I decided to put my 13" 223 barrel on it for the moment. I had been thinking about selling the short barrel and ordering a 15.875 to replace it, but I wanted to shoot it some first.

Some History: I traded Ed out of this barrel at the Tulsa Gun Show, it was an MGM Encore, 13" Stainless, Chambered in 221 Fireball with 1/10 twist. It looked to be new and unfired. I had 221 Fireball Dies and brass so I figured I could use this barrel. When I got home with it I discovered that I had let a buddy have all my Fireball brass with a barrel I had sold him. Lapua Brass was $1 a round. OUCH!! I also discovered the barrel was drilled and tapped for a Carbine forend. My forend would not work on it as is. After a little pondering I contacted MGM about Rechambering it to 223 and converting it to the BullBerry Hanger Bar System so my existing Tony's Forends would work. I did mention to MGM that I wished the barrel had been longer on the phone. I sent the barrel to MGM they did the work and returned it. I picked up a scope for it, and a scope base. About a year later I decided I really needed to shoot it and get a zero. I put it on my Pro Hunter and did get it rough zeroed.

Back to last night: I installed the MGM 223 barrel on my new Encore and while looking it over I thought to myself, that sure looks longer than a 13 inch barrel. I rounded up a tape measure and guess what, it was 15 inch's. I am guessing that MGM after me mentioning that I wish the barrel had been longer, made me a 15" replacement barrel. I have ordered enough barrels in the last three years that I may be on the Good Customer List.

Now for a new Forend. I e-mailed Tony about making me a Walnut Forend. I figured I would order a Walnut Grip later for it, as factory Walnut Grips are now discontinued and hard to come by. Then I was looking over his Ready To Ship List. What did I find? An Encore 11 Inch Forend set up for the Hanger Bar System in Dark Black Onyx. Barrel Channel was cut for a tapered Bull Barrel. This forend would work just fine with my factory Rubber Grip, and .75 at the muzzle barrel. I sent a follow-up e-mail, and then called Tony this morning. I now have the Onyx Forend on order.
I plan to install a Bubble Level, and probably a better set of Scope Rings for it. I believe this will be my dedicated 223 Encore.

I am noticing a trend. I keep picking up more actions to put my existing barrels on.

Bob R

Last edited by Bob Roach; 09/01/2020 2:31 PM.

See You At The Range