That help a little. I tried to put enough information down to let you know the extent of knowledge of the subject, which is limited. Is there any publicized information that anyone would recommend about the subject? I subject has always been vague to me. I grew up shooting a 7mm mag loaded with a 162 gr. spbt going over 3100 fps. I now know that a 708 is more than adequate for white tail hunting. That is one of the reasons that I have always underestimated the abilities of a 44 mag, which I know is more that sufficient for hunting deer.

I know of people that hunt deer with 22-250s and others that have shot elk with 243s. I did say that I promoted or recommended it. But these people are also crack shots.

With that being said, my 7mm mag will NOT knock a 150 pound pig over at 25 yards. I have shot two of them that just trotted off, not far but they didn’t drop. But a 45-70 will completely overwhelm it. On paper, the 7mm has more foot pounds of energy. That is why I know I am missing a variable. That is also why I have never owned a straight walled case cartridge, which I am remedying. I have realized that there some great straight walled case cartridges and I have underestimated them for to long because of my ignorance.

Duane

Democracy is two wolves and a lamb deciding what to have for dinner. Liberty is a well armed lamb
Benjamin Franklin