I type everything in word and then cut and past. My wife stills laughs at all my mistakes!!

It is funny you ask about the water test. I started testing 22 call bullets for deer hunting. The epitome of all ironies. I wanted to see how they would mushroom. Most of them would just literally explode when they hit the water. I had a heck of a time picking all the pieces out of the water. The X bullets stayed in one piece. Two of the petals constantly fell of, but I could always recover them. They more than doubled in size in the water. The X bullets were the only ones that would even consider hunting anything bigger than varmints with that I tried. The deer hunting article has a lot more bullets and data that is applicable on the subject. It gave me the idea to try and was a fun experiment.

To answer your question, I set up a steal plate, in is nice when your parents own a metal shop, in front of a 8 foot long water trough. I started out with a 22LR and went to a 223, 22-250, 243, 7-30, 708, 7mm mag, and 375 H&H. Lots of 7-30’s. On a side note, wear rain gear. I have seen and read experiments before that bullets wouldn’t penetrate more than about 2 feet of water, armed with a patch kit of JB weld, I wanted to find out. The smaller rounds I could find about ¾ the way threw the water and would stop. The 6 and 7mm’s the bullet would come to rest at the end of the trough. They were the most constant with expansion / mushrooming. To my surprise, the 7mm Mag nor the 375 H&H even dented the trough on the far side. I was quite pleased and had a lot of fun. It was a few years ago, so I don’t have any of the experiments anymore.

Democracy is two wolves and a lamb deciding what to have for dinner. Liberty is a well armed lamb
Benjamin Franklin