Before you get too wound up in trying different bullet types, I strongly suggest that you measure the chamber throats of your gun. The newer Smiths have significantly tighter chamber throats than the Smiths of old. My 629DX and Magna Classic both mic at .429. Whereas, some of my older 29s measure .430 and even .431 in one instance. For that reason, I use jacketed bullets only in the newer guns. My bullet of choice is the same .44 Magnum bullet that I have used for almost 40 years. The R-P 240 gr JHP over 24.0 of H-110.

This bullet performs every bit as well, if not better on deer sized game that bullets costing many times as much. For heavier game (i.e. Black Bear, etc.), it is hard to beat the 240 gr. Partition bullet. There were some other good bullets mentioned above, but this is what has worked for me. If you are bound to try cast bullets in your gun, just be mindful of your pressures because of the tight cylinder throats. I considered having the throats opened up in my guns, but because of the accuracy, I decided to leave them alone, and shoot cast out of my other 44s.

Good luck with your new gun. Despite what you might read around the web, there is not much on this continent that cannot be handled by a good 44 Magnum with the right loads.

Good Shooting Makes Good Hunting
Patron Member NRA;
Life Member RMEF, SCI, NSRPA, CRPA: Member, FTRF, HHI #7108, CBA