Gentlemen, I am looking for input from .30 Herrett shooters on your experiences with different powders. I bought my first barrel (of three) in 1976 and I used the 110-grain Speer RN and H4227 like Milek said to do. I also tried 2400 and W296 - all powders gave low velocities that were well below what Milek and Hornady published; they indicated too-high pressure signs too. My velocities were pretty close to Lyman's data, about 2200 fps max. Accuracy was 2-3 moa for 5 shot groups. I hunted with the barrel and took a number of Kodiak Island deer. I later switched to the 110 Hornady V-Max, velocities were still around 2200 fps in the 10" tube with 2.5 moa accuracy.

I recently loaded up 40 cases with the Hornady bullet atop various charges of H110 and Lil'Gun. The H110 gave the same mediocre accuracy I expected - 2.5-3 moa - but the Lil'Gun grouped much tighter, averaging 1.5 moa. No chrono readings, and since Lil'Gun doesn't track H110 well at all (it's faster or slower depending on the case) I don't know what the velocity is. I'll eventually get out the chrono, but I was wondering if anyone had expereince with powders other than the "traditional" ones for this little case. Thanks guys.

Last edited by Carpe Diem; 07/15/2008 1:18 AM.

Based on total trigger pull weight, my trigger finger has lifted well over 200 tons....