My vote would also be for the Ruger. I have had quite a few different Ruger MK series of .22 LR Semi Auto Handguns over the years.

This past winter I picked up a Ruger MKIII 22/45 4" Bull Barrel. I wanted an open sighted holster gun. It just so happens that this little Ruger fits quite nicely in my Uncle Mikes Kydex Paddle Holster I have for my 1911 (with minor adjustment of the tension screws).

While I knew I wanted to the Ruger MKIII 22/45, I also knew up front that I would be doing some MODIFICATIONS to it.

The very first thing I did was visit my local Gunsmith. Roger ground off the molded in raised portion of the grip, installed 1911 Grip Screw Bushings and I then added a set of Hogue Rubber Finger Groove Wrap Around 1911 Grip Panels with a set of 1911 Grip Screws.

Next up I installed a HiViz Fiber Optic Front Sight, and a Ruger V Notch Rear Sight Blade was installed in the Ruger Adjustable Rear Sight.

I then tore into the innards, and made a set of washers to eliminate the Magazine Disconnector Safety (now my magazines drop free when I push the mag release). This modification also helped out with a little better trigger feel.

Still not satisfied I installed a Volquartsen Target Sear, and polished the engagement notch on the Ruger Hammer Slightly. Now I was getting some place and had a nice and crisp 1 1/2 pound trigger pull.

My factory Ruger Trigger had a little side to side play, so I purchased a Clark Custom Guns Steel Ruger Trigger. These triggers come oversized in width so you have to fit them to the individual frame to a tighter fit. Once all done it really changed the feel on the trigger on my finger, the mushiness was gone.

All in all I added about $100.00 to the cost of my little Ruger and ended up with exactly what I wanted in the end. The Grip modification made a world of difference in the feel of this little Ruger. I just so happens it ended up feeling in the hand a lot like my Kimber 1911 Model BP Ten II .45 ACP and is almost the same weight.

I have been a Range Officer and on the Board of Directors at a local Indoor Shooting Range for .22 LR Handguns & Rifles since 1990. In all those years I have seen a lot of different .22 LR Handguns (besides owning my share). The first couple of years everyone was buying Rugers. As Optical Sights became more popular at our club guys and gals were trading off their Rugers for lighter weight Brownings as the Steel Framed Rugers got a little heavier than they wanted for One Handed Target Shooting when they added optics.

It didn't take long and a lot of these same shooters were trading off their Brownings for Rugers once again after they started having troubles. In those years that everyone was buying Brownings I remember about a dozen or so getting sent back to Browning for replacement barrels as they just wouldn't shoot, and Browning replaced every single barrel free of charge so obviously there wa a problem (remember that was 15 years ago or so).

Today I think if you want a box stock gun, and will be happy with it as it comes out of the box, either will be a good choice. As for me, I can't seem to leave anything alone and for that the Ruger is KING as there is a host of aftermarket parts available so the owner can customize their Ruger to suit their individual wants and needs.

Larry

T/C Handguns, One good shot for your moment of truth !