I used to be a Herman Survivor boot guy...rather inexpensive and fit the bill for my general purpose style of hunting. A couple years ago I was in Cabela's bargain cave and spotted a pair of Meindl Boots...I had read about these...made in Germany. They were a heavily constructed, well insulated boot designed for Alpine style hunting and suitable for mountain climbing...they were regularly priced at $300...
. But someone had bought them and returned w/o ever wearing off of their household carpet...I got them for $130. After three years of hard hunting, these things have NEVER let me down. I love that the tongue is stitched the whole way to the top. There are a lot speed rings to allow ample sinching for a good ankle/calf fit and there is even one in the middle of the tongue to keep it centered on your leg and won't allow it to creep down.

Two weeks ago when I was in Cabela's they had two pairs of a lighter weight Meindl hunting boot but they were one size too big. I just got back from another trip to Harrisburg...which means another trip to Cabela's and the size 13's were gone...BUT...they had a pair of size 12 B/C style boot. List price was over $200 and I snagged them for under $120. They also have the same lacing style as the heavier boots.

The boots are rated by letter for the uses they were designed...B/C is for "trekking boot for ambitious trekking, easy and moderate alpine use and fixed rope routes"...remember...the are made in Germny and the owners book in written in German and loosely translated to English. A pretty hard core hiking boot IMO. My other boots are "D"..."the ultimate high mountain boot, absolutely reliable for extreme us in rugger terrain. Suitable for crampons".

I said that I'd buy every pair I found in the bargain cave because they are just that awesome of a boot...so far I've done just that!!

Exodus 20:5-11
Matthew 5:18
Revelation 22:14

ISPBS--Expert Level

Please don't use e-mail, contact me w/ PM.