Besides the challenge and love of handguns which we all must share, I find simply carring a hunting handgun a pleasure over carring a long gun. I mostly carry a Super Redhawk w/ Bushnell 2-6X & flip-up scope covers tucked into a modified nylon holster on my belt. Here's my TOP 4 REASONS TO HANDGUN HUNT!
#4 I feel my rig is more protected from the harsh weather. A long hunting jacket can be pulled down over the holster when carring or tuck the handgun under your coat front when on the stand.
#3 I think my scope is less likely to take abuse & being knocked off alignment. A real plus when on my 4-wheeler and also when I need both hands to pull my myself up a hill or fight through brush.
#2 Handgun hunting allows me to enjoy the outdoors more. I have my pistol in a holster and my hands are free. I can bend down and pick up a leaf to check wind direction. I can dig in my pocket and get jerky from last years kill. I can brush new fallen leaves out of the way to check for new/old sign.
#1 Come to think of it, maybe I'm just a kid again kicking around the woods and if I see something to shoot, I'll bust it.