The 460 is marketed as a long range deer gun but it is a 454 on steroids and the 454 has shown itself capable of the most dangerous game on the planet. The key to the 460 is to get away from the kiddy bullets in the 200gr range and go back to true 45 caliber hunting weights. The 460 I had would shoot moa with 260gr Nosler Partitions at 1980fps. If you like hardcast then go to 300+ grains and it will be a hammer. Having owned the 500 also I have not doubts of it's power but again it seems to come into its own with 400gr plus fodder. Both guns will do the job very effectively but as in all cases bullet structure and shot placement are key. I personally gave up both x frames and went back to big bore single actions because of the weight of the gun itself but both cartridges are impressive and once my wrists are fixed I'm seriously considering one of Reeders BMF revolvers in 475 Max or 500 S&W, I had considered the 500 Max but bullet availability for the S&W is much greater.

I won't be wronged. I won't be insulted. I won't be laid a-hand on. I don't do these things to other people, and I require the same from them. John Wayne-The Shootist