Originally Posted By: jwp475

I guess the light bullet high velocity guys are counting on "Kinetic Energy" to do the job

Well I've got a news flash for you, "energy tranfer" is a myth. When a bullet hits an animal that is an inelastic collision and "Energy" is NOT CONSERVED IN INELASTIC COLLISIONS. Momentum is conserved in all collisions.

I'm a light bullet high velocity guy and I count on a wide, deep wound channel to do the job.

If you have ever seen a side view of ballistic gellatin when being shot into by various bullets, you can see the advantages of using a lightweight, high velocity, expanding bullet. You will see that a light, fast expanding bullet opens wider, causing not only a larger permanent wound channel, but also a larger temporary wound channel. The cast bullet, will indeed make a large temporary and permanent wound channel, but not as large as the light, fast, expanding bullet. The kinetic energy, momentum (or whatever you want to call it) generated by the moving bullet when hitting an animal is directed outward, away from the permanent wound channel, this is what causes the temporary wound channel and more tissue damage and more bleeding.

Tissue damage resulting in bleeding is what kills an animal. Ive seen deer get hit by a car at 60 miles an hour, get up clear a ditch and run into the woods. I'm sure many of us have. What deposits more energy into a deer? A 5000 pound pickup going 50 miles an hour or a 700 NE? I would be willing to bet that a 700 Nitro Express expells more energy on an animal than what we all use for hunting, yet still doesn't deposit the energy that a Silverado does. This would mean that if us "light bullet high velocity guys" we were really relying on soley Kenitic energy to kill our game, we would need something that deposited more energy on the animal than a 700NE. To my knowledge, they still don't sell Oerlikon 20mm cannons at Gander Mountain.

In the case of bullets, a light, fast, expanding bullet will not penetrate as deep as a slower, heavy cast bullet. But since I'm only hunting whitetail and blackbear, I dont need anymore than 15 inches of penetration. I'll use the light fast bullet designed for this application and speed. Because the animals I shoot are no wider than 15 inches at the chest, I dont have to worry about getting 45" of penetration achieved with a cast bullet. I'll use the bullet that causes the most possible damage to the amimals I hunt.

jwp475, apparently the animals you hunt are over 40" inches wide at the vitals, which is why you are using a slow, heavy cast bullet that will penetrate much deeper than a fast, light expanding bullet. If all you were shooting were animals that were no more than 12 or 15 inches wide at the vitals, it clearly would not matter in the least that the bullet penetrated 45 inches.

If God didn't want us to eat animals, he wouldn't have made them out of meat.