I suppose because I've never considered shooting an animal with a .45 caliber bullet out of a revolver at 500 yards, 400 yards, even 300 yards, I've never considered what the bullet was doing beyond 200 yards. Dan, I appreciate the "Science test" lesson but with all due respect, I've understood basic ballistics since I was 6 years old.

The conversation I started out having with jwp was regarding .45 cal bullets (both light jacketed and heavy cast) and how they worked upon impact, killing an animal. I was not talking about rifles, ballistic coefficients, long range shooting, wind doping, etc. Those diehard cast bullet lovers, please, continue to use what works for you. I will continue to use what works for me. I don't bitch, piss and moan and give you every reason in the world why cast bullets suck and jacketed is all you should use because that would not only be immature and arrogant but just dead wrong . As I said before, both have their niches and I feel both should be used for certain applications. I use light jacketed bullets because for the ranges I hunt, and the animals I pursue, they are flatter shooting, accurate, very lethal and are no more affected by the wind than a 335 gr cast bullet at 1200 fps. I realize that at 500 yards, a big heavy cast bullet at 1200 fps is less affected by wind than a light jacketed bullet. I also realize that the drop of the same bullet and velocity at 500 yards is about 35 feet (according to JBM Trajectory tables), roughly three times as much as a 200gr XPB at 2400fps. STill, these values do not matter to me because I do not shoot deer or anyother big game animal at more than 200 yards with a revolver. Thats just me though. Others may feel confident shooting a revolver at an animal at 500 yards, but not me.

This thread's original topic was regarding the .460 S&W magnum. If we want to start a thread regarding long range rifle shooting, I would love to join in. This is not the spot for it. And out of respect for lance, lets stick to the topic. I would bet a dollar that he does not care which bullet out of his .460 will shoot better at 500 yards.

If God didn't want us to eat animals, he wouldn't have made them out of meat.