I have been hunting exclusively with handguns for more than 15 yrs. I have never used a 357 but have many acquaintances that have. My most respected friend's advice is "for hunting the 357 is an expert's gun. It was designed to stop a man at normally short distances not as a hunting cartridge." (He has used the FA 357 to kill animals up to 200 yds - but he is exceptional). His minimum hunting cartridge today is 44 mag.

As my experiences increase, my taste is for bigger bullets in revolvers. I started with 41s. I love 41s. I have killed numerous animals with them and have observed others shot with this round. My personal opinion is that I now prefer a little more bullet than the 210 gr .410 XTP. While this combination in my revolvers is very accurate, I have seen it fail to exit more times than not. I have seen a boiler-room hit that left NO blood trail at all even though the animal lay dead 75 yds away. In the brush he was hard to find.

If I carry this logic & experience to thoughts about the 357, I would only consider hunting with it using 180 gr bullets. Even then, I personally would prefer more bullet (diameter & weight).

Also, understand that in the area where I live and the places that I hunt, a 75 yd shot is close. 100 yds is more normal and a little further is often required.

It's more important where you hit 'em, than what you hit 'em with.