Reply to Mikefrompa, Your not the first to question my handload using the 250gr XTP moving at 1700fps+ from my FA 454.......
Let me start by saying that my reload info came from Hornady`s 4th edition (1994-15 years ago)where they used a FA`s 454 with a 7 1/2" brl.
and their 250gr XTP over a charge of 33.4grs of H-110 for 1750fps
Let me add that this was NOT their max load for the 250XTP which was 50fps faster running at 1800fps. This was also before Hornady added that small paper ,with their bullets, listing the optimum high/low velocities for the XTP to properly expand.Like I said in my previous above post, this load was devestating on the size game that I shot and I had not experienced any problems with the amount of these loads I fired through my 454. I think I fired less then 200 of these rounds and would not hesitate to use it again.However, if you asked me if I would use the 250XTP at 460 velocities I would give you a definate NO.....A lot of things have changed in the last 15 years and top velocities for XTP bullets is one of them.Hope this is a decent explanation.
PS My FAs 454 is an early model with the unremovable firing pin that had to be sent back to the factory,when the pin broke, to have the gun drilled and tapped and the new system installed. I`ve been handloadin the 454 since the first box of factory ammo I bought from Freedom Arms cost $63.64....old habits die hard.

Life member-NRA-SCI
Member-HHI #2900-HHASA #067
Colt-Ruger-Freedom Arms-and S&W Collector Assoc.s
"I have more guns then I need but not as many as I want" "Handgun hunters HAVE to be good"