I am fortunate to live in Texas. However, I grew up in NM, a state with a lot of public land. I ceased to hunt the public land many years ago because of experiences with other "hunters" while hunting there. Later, I owned land in NM (all deeded and clearly posted). I came to "hate" hunting season because I spent much of my time chasing the trespassers who felt that they had the "right" to come on my land & hunt when they pleased. I will state that my experience with most of the "hunters" that I encountered while owning land in NM was that the majority were total "slobs." I felt strongly enough about it that I would not admit to very many people that I liked to hunt. I did not want to classified in the minds of others as a "hunter."

In Texas there is very little public land. Therefore, if you want to hunt here you either buy some land of your own or lease hunting rights from one who owns the land. I see nothing wrong with that. It seems totally logical to me. If I own an asset and you want to use it, you should compensate me. Alternatively, buy your own. Plus, one of the biggest advantages is that you know the other hunters out there & are likely to be associating with those who share your "hunting morals."

Just my $.02.

It's more important where you hit 'em, than what you hit 'em with.