I live on 40 acres in the Missouri Ozarks. Out my back door is forest crop land belonging to a flooring company. You can make an all day circle on a horse behind my house, and never see anyone. We have miles and miles of trails we can ride the 4-wheeler on anytime we like. Lots of deer and turkey. We have a 10 mile drive to the closest town (600 Population). A 15 mile drive to the closest town with a Wal-Mart, shoe store, etc. (2500 population) It is a 2 Hour drive to Springfield. No need to say how far to St Louis and Kansas City, If I was never in either again EVER it would be too soon.

Where I live almost everyone you meet on the road waves at you.

I was a Reserve Deputy Sheriff for 16 years. I had the computer quit on my patrol car leaving me stranded on the side of the road waiting on a wrecker one day. Would you believe 2 out of 3 cars stopped and asked me if I needed help. That would never happen most places.

We have deer using the wifes salt block for her horses, about 40 feet from the side of the house. The most deer we have seen in the yard at one time was 13.

I have my own 100 yard firing range, and my concrete shooting bench is in my back yard. I can shoot all day and no one will say a word, let alone complain about it.

I have a second shooting bench in my reloading room that shoots out a window over my concrete bench, so I can shoot from indoors in the winter if I want to.

The down side was, I had a 60 mile one way drive to work for most of the 35 years I worked as a civil servant. The price you have to pay to live where you want, and have a job that pays decent wages, has a retirement plan, and insurance.

My dog likes country life also. He was the sons dog in Kansas City before he moved to California. When he moved, I inherited his dog. No dog pen and no dog chain at my house. He sleeps beside the bed or on the couch on his blanket. He gets to ride with pop in the truck. Life is good.

Another good thing. NO COUNTY ZONING, or anything like it. If I decide to paint the house, I get the paint, and paint the house. If I decide to build a new barn, I get my material and build a barn. No permits, no inspections, and no one you have to pay off to get it approved either.

Our local Sportsmans Club is about 10 miles from the house. I have been on the Board of Directors or a Club Officer since 1981, and Club President most of that time. We have Trap, Skeet, Sporting Clays, Archery, 22 Benchrest, 600 yard HiPower Benchrest, Defensive Pistol, Multi Range F Class (100 thru 800 yards), Sniper Matches (100 thru 800 yards), a 2-Gun Combat Course, and Rimfire Sniper Matches. We have a Shoot House at the range. We have 2 short ranges with 25, 50 and 100 yard targets up with 8 shooting benches under a pivilion. We have a Hi Power Range with a concrete bench and targets at 200, 300, 400, and 500 yards. Shooting from the Firing Point Berms you can shoot from 100 thru 800 yards in 100 yard increments. Club Membership is $50 a year, and we have 3 Club Dinners a year ( a Hog Roast, Hamburger Fry, and a Chilli Supper).

I have a permit to ride my 4-wheeler on the county roads, and in the town with a 600 population.

I have a nice stream about a mile from the house with a few good swimming holes, and some small fish you can catch.

The wife trail rides with her horse buddies on average 3 days a week year round. She rode Tuesday and today this week, and is headed to an organized trail ride operation tomorrow with the granddaughter, and will be back Monday. She has around 10 retired gals she rides with. We have a total of 5 horses.

I really hate to say it, but it does not get any better than this.

See You At The Range