I have several 44's some scoped with 2x scopes and others open sight only. After our shoot in NC an few weeks back I now feel very comfortable with a 200 yard shot with my scoped 44 in the right situation--I feel like I could put 6 bullets in a 8" pie plate at that distance pretty much every time from a good rest. With Gary's recent 90+ yard open sight shot(much beyond my open sight comfort range) although I have made one shot that far-(keep in mind one data point is not a trend) I am looking at my 44's and 45's a bit more closely. I have always limited myself to 50yds with the open sight 44's (75 with the 8 3/8 " mod 29) and about 100 with the 2x scoped guns.-- much of the reason for this was I had the SSP's for the longer hunting situations-- however now I am reconsidering the use of the scoped wheel guns up to 200 yds--with one of the key factors being understanding bullet drop past 100 yds & a good rest being critical. I think one of the key items for me being able to shoot well at 200 yds with my 44 was picking a very small spot to shoot at and understanding how much the bullet will drop at that distance. Another key factor for these situations will be a range finder-- if you have to guess at the distance the 44 may not be the best option because at 200 because +/- 25 means a lot. Just looking for a gut check here--is this foolish or do I need to look at this as the next level for the wheel gun.

If it jams force it! If it breaks it needed replacing anyway.