First of all, the gun needs to be accurate enough with the load you're shooting to be viable at whatever distance you're shooting. I have found that drop really isn't a huge concern with a .44 Mag at hunting velocities out to 100 yards. Much beyond that and things start to get tricky and you had better know within a few yards, how far your target is. With open sights I find the sight picture is the critical part and for that reason I like a hold on the belly line on game animals. With that hold I can see the entire animal and it's much easier to distinguish where the shoulder is vs. when taking a dead-on hold. Invariably when I'm trying to take a dead-on hold I tend to shoot over the animal. I learned what works best for me by shooting a lot of squirrels with an open sighted 22 revolver. Shooting off-hand I'm comfortable out to 50 - 60 yards and shooting a little farther with a good rest. Part of what goes into the decision to shoot is often how well you can see the target. On that pig, I had a very good sight picture because he was pretty dark in some light green grass so it was very easy to tell where the pig was.

You can't wait any longer. Join the NRA and start writing your Congressmen and Senators.