The other thing for long range shooting is you have to know your bullet will stabilize out that far. I have a 425gr WFNPB that shoots wonderfully tiny groups at 25 yard but will not hold 18" at 100 yards as it is destabilizing in a hurry. The point is just because a load shoots well at 100 yards does not mean it will shoot well at 200, 300 or so on, you have to test it at all ranges. Also just because some ballistic calculator says your bullet is zeroed at x range then at 150 yards it will drop XX amount. You have to know what it will do not guess by putting the trigger time in proving your loads. Plus you have to know what the sight picture needs to be for good hits at different ranges. A buddy did a lot of shooting with his 9" FA 454, he shoots a 300gr bullet at 1550fps and sights in dead on at 100 yards with it. On a 8" gong he learned with his gun sighted as such a 50 yard shot required him to hold at the base of the gong for good hits and at 150 yards he had to hold just so the crosshairs were just over the top of the same gong. He killed a elk at 88 yards and a great 11 point Whitetail that fall at 165 yards with the gun and load.

I would also say that you have to have the right conditions to try long shots on game. Is there snow down to track a wounded animal if you screw up? Is there a rifle backing you up? What is the wind doing? What is the game animal? I would not hesitate to try a 200 yard shot with iron sighted revolver on a prairie dog or coyote but I would never try it on a deer that was not wounded.

Long range is the ultimate test of a handgunner, but with practice, good ammo, a good gun, it is very possible to be proficient at it but shooting at deer at 175 yards is not the time to be learning. A good 10" or 12" gong is a wonderful teacher, take your gun and what you carry hunting and shoot from field positions from all sorts of distances until you are 100% confident you can make the shot at a distance before you try it on game. Don't walk to what you think is a certain distance, randomly pick a spot, stop, range the target and shoot. Move around and shoot again, it is a seriously humbling experience when you can ring a gong at 100 yards at will but at 88 or 117 yards you cant!

Go shoot and learn it is a lot of fun though...