Vance,
Ya, I had a great time at the range yesterday... When I was about ready to start shooting a couple of guys showed up, one with a .44 Mag Blackhawk on his hip. I figured this guy knew more than me, so I went up to talk to him. I asked him what I should expect recoil wise and he told me how I better hang on...
Going back to my position, I pulled back the hammer, braced myself and squeezed the trigger. TALK ABOUT A POWDER PUFF!!! Not a heck of a lot more recoil than my .22lr Neos. Obviously, the .44 man wasn't the expert I thought he was. My .45 Colt shot about 8" high out of the box, and I forgot to bring anything to adjust the sights. It was a real good time...kissed goodbye to $20.00 of ammo way too quickly. I shot the guys .44Mag...260grainers, I think and couldn't believe how easy it was to shoot. He was complaining earlier about his gun's recoil, and I found it a pleasure to shoot. Didn't check the ammo box to see if he was shooting cowboy loads or not. One thing is for certain, when you don't have to worry about a scope catching you in the face, I don't mind a little recoil!
On a side note, his buddy had a AR-15 converted to 500 S&W with a 7 round magazine. I only shot one round because that factory ammo he had wasn't cheap. Wow....quite a little POWERHOUSE! Being gas operated, recoil wasn't bad at all, but I was smart enough to shoot it standing up, not leaning into it on the bench. Learned that lesson two years ago trying to sight in for turkeys with heavy 3.5 inch turkey loads from the bench. That was the first time that I actually felt REAL PAIN when squeezing the trigger...

Jim