While I know the word "disposition" is not in some (of your) vocabulary(s), hear me out before you judge. I am considering disposing of a contender barrel & welcome your thoughts on which one it might be.

I have a seemingly "large" number of contender barrels --- currently 9 or more in my safe & a couple "loaned out." All of them except two have frames. Some of you regulars may remember when I posted about acquiring a barrel from my deceased friend's widow. Well, I got three --- 300 Savage, 309 JDJ, and 357 Herrett. I am considering disposing of one of them.

I have another 309 with a 4X Leupold on it. This 309 is blue with a 3x9 Burris on it. I prefer the Leupold. Thus, the 309 is a possiblity.

The 300 Savage is about like a 30-30 AI (maybe a little better), but not quite up to the 309. In addition I also have a 300 Whisper that JD made for Roberta (12" diamond bbl) that is nice, plus 7-30s and 6.5s. Thus, the 300 Sav is special only because Jerry had his 30 Herrett bbl rechambered into this 300. The 300 Sav has a Bushnell Banner variable on it, but it has shot well with that scope for years. It can use factory ammo & has accounted for numerous animals.

The 357 Herrett is almost the equal of a 35 Remington ballistically but more efficient in powder useage. The 357 has a Burris 1.5x4 scope on it. I do not have another 35 caliber bbl for a contender; however, I do have a 338 JDJ#2 and a 375 JDJ. This one could be used as a loaner, if I run out of 7-30 bbls.

Since this post addresses only contender bbls, I will not elaborate on the "other" single shots. However, note that I have plenty of them too. LOL

If you were me, which one would you consider first? I really "need" none of them. I already know which one I am leaning toward, but I will be very curious to see your replies.

Thanks.

Last edited by wtroper; 02/22/2011 12:40 AM.

It's more important where you hit 'em, than what you hit 'em with.