Black bears are not particularly hard to kill. I don't really care for 300 grain bullets in the 29, so I'd use just a quality 240 grain bullet, or perhaps the Speer 270 grain Gold Dot on the heavy end.

Personally, I'd put a 2x scope on the 29. You don't really need it as far as magnification goes, but it allows you to pin point where you put your bullet. You want to put the bullet in the shoulder or tightly behind it - pretty much the same shot placement you would go for on a deer. If he's facing you, try to shoot him in the center of the chest. Don't shoot at the head unless he's super close and it's your only choice. You'll probably knock him right down with a shot like that, but beware that they can get back up VERY quickly. If you hit him in the head, be cautios and be ready to put another shot in him ASAP.

Still hunting for black bears is one of the most exciting things I've ever done. Hopefully you will be hunting while the acorns are falling ,as this is the best way to come across bears. When they're going hog wild eating acorns, they're pretty easy to sneak up on.

Have fun, be safe, and tell us how your hunt goes!

Best Wishes,
Brian.

Smokey,this is not 'Nam.This is bowling.There are rules.