Originally Posted By: jwp475
 Originally Posted By: wapitirod
 Originally Posted By: Matabele
I got the following from Bowens website:

"The receivers are modified to accept oversize cylinders. The bolt notches of the 5-shot, unfluted cylinders fall between the chambers rather than over them where the chamber walls are thinnest. The longer cylinders accept cartridges loaded with longer, heavier bullets for superior hunting performance. Further, the cylinders feature free-wheeling ratchet and, where possible, recessed case heads to improve loading gate support."

So I guess its advisable on the heavy kickers where its possible. Rod if you are getting your cylinders from Bowen anyway, maybe mention the recessed case thing and he might be able to supply you, cant hurt to ask.

Yep I'll ask him about them but when I talked to him before about the different cylinders the recessed design didn't come up. I'll also get the story on this gate issue because it still seems strange that the spring wouldn't give before the gate but like has been said if you load them all there isn't a problem and even if you break a gate it's a very cheap 15min fix.

WHat if one is on a remote fly in hunt n Alaska, not good to have a loading gate that you can't open

If your on a fly in hunt and load one round without it being your last round to keep your ass from becoming a rump roast for a grizz then you deserve whatever happens to you.
From what I've heard so far about how many times this has happened I've heard of just as many frame failures so I don't know that it's a real serious issue. Like s4s4u said load them all up and avoid the problem all together and it is no longer an issue. My guess is that the gates that failed are just like the frames that failed, the both failed under the stress of big bore loads but the problem started back at the ruger factory in the casting and machining process.

I won't be wronged. I won't be insulted. I won't be laid a-hand on. I don't do these things to other people, and I require the same from them. John Wayne-The Shootist