Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Re: long range pistol video 926 yards [Re: Gregg Richter] #89295 07/16/2011 8:28 PM
jamesfromjersey Offline
Shootist
Shootist
I started reading about handgun hunting in the 1960`s and I know there are members that were into it much sooner then that. I read guys like Skeeter Skelton, Jeff Copper, Elmer Keith and more. In those day`s a 150yd shot with S&W 44 was something to behold. One bit of advice that came with articles on handgun hunting was to "get close and then get closer" to your animal...
Ok, lets jump foward in time and we find the scope companies making LER optics for handguns and TC making their accurate single shot and we see the range at which game is taken increased to unheard of distances. Now jump to the present and we see those same people that were shooting the TC`s have evolved their sport into what can be described as "super long range handgunning" with specialized equipment. However, the one thing that the super long range hunters and I,with my revolvers, both have to live with is making sure that the shot we take puts that animal down. If the handgunner, of either classification, can`t do that then he should not take the shot. If he does and a wounded animal gets away then thats something he has to live with and let me add that I`am sure we will never see posted on YOU Tube. If he can , and he does, then all the power to him. Just make sure you take what you shoot at and we can all live happily ever after....

Life member-NRA-SCI
Member-HHI #2900-HHASA #067
Colt-Ruger-Freedom Arms-and S&W Collector Assoc.s
"I have more guns then I need but not as many as I want" "Handgun hunters HAVE to be good"
Re: long range pistol video 926 yards [Re: Gregg Richter] #89300 07/16/2011 11:43 PM
Ernie Offline
Distinguished Master
Distinguished Master
I am going to respond to some of the things talked about on this thread.
I doubt if I will do a sufficient job of responding, but I will attempt it.
I am for short, mid, or long range hunting if the person follows the law and develops the required skills.

Ethics is brought up many times when long-range hunting is discussed.
Here is a good guide of knowing whether or not I should pull the trigger on game.
If I am confident I will hit the kill zone on the first shot it is a green light for me.
Another way of saying it, “I would be shocked if I missed or wounded the animal if I pull the trigger under these conditions.”

((I wouldn’t use you are justified in shooting at the animal if you can’t get any closer.
I know I would be shooting more if that was my guideline
;\)

Honestly, I don’t know Dick, but I don’t think that he was trying to say or justify the statement I just referred to.
In fact, all of us have a difficult time of expressing ourselves and understanding the full intent of others on forums like this.
I hope we will realize that, and allow others the same grace we would want people to give us, even if we disagree with them.))

I am not including wounded game here, as I believe we should do everything in our power to legally put that animal down.

Have I always lived up to the guideline above in all of my years hunting big game?
“No.”
When I think of most of those times, it was short range or mid range shots the majority of the time.

The guideline I listed is not for long-range alone, and in my opinion can be used for all types of ways that one can legally hunt big game.
I may need to pass up a shot under 100 yards because I may be winded, do not have a good rest, or there is too much brush blocking, etc.

Has anyone here ever misplaced a shot that they were confident they would hit? I have.
Ever wished you had not pulled the trigger?
It is my guess that everyone makes mistakes in the field, if they are out there long enough.

I know there are people who think they can hit anything, every time, with any gun at any distance-I am not including delusional folks here 

One aspect of LR hunting that needs to be added to the description above is to always limit the distance if your bullet will not be going fast enough to do a good job of organ/tissue destruction when it reaches the animal.
You may have awesome conditions, you can’t get any closer, and you are fully confident you will hit the animal where you intend. But if your bullet pencils it you have a problem.

I enjoy sharing what works for me, who helped me build it, and the components used on a build.
I also enjoy sharing goals reached, groups shot, animals killed (regardless of distance, weapon used, with or without antlers).
Isn’t that the main reason were on hunting and shooting forums like Gary’s?
I like talking about and reading about the things I mentioned.
We all have our preferences when it comes to the type of weapon, and why we use it-Good for you to use what brings you pleasure.
It may or may not be what brings enjoyment to the next guy.

Also, not all weapons/cartridges are created equal, even within the same type.
Not all people who hunt are created equal in terms of shooting ability under pressure either.
Add to that, our skill may get better or worse over time depending on a number of factors.
I have seen people who can hit all day long, then put them under a clock or competition, and they shoot terrible.
I know of one guy who stinks when shooting a comp, but in the hunting field delivers consistently.

A person does need to know their limitations, and those limitations can change from minute to minute in the field.

Will I intentionally back up (distance is now further), so I can have a more solid field rest? Yes.
Will I look for opportunities for a long shot at times? Yes.

Ernie the Un-Tactical
Re: long range pistol video 926 yards [Re: Ernie] #89303 07/17/2011 1:57 AM
Gregg Richter Offline
Distinguished Expert
Distinguished Expert
OK Members; this has been a give and take but mostly good exchange of ideas and opinions, and it has wound down to where IMO it is a good time to close it down. Safe to say, I do not want any more off-color remarks; all is OK right now.

I feel that the more important ideas on both sides have been weighed in. There is lots here for thought; plenty of input to help each of us to make our own decision on Long Range Shots on Game.

Thanks to all of you that followed the rules and spirit of Gary's HandgunHunt.com (Handgun Hunter Magazine) when replying to this topic.

Gregg

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  Chance Weldon, Gary, Gregg Richter 

Newest Members
Redhawk41, Striker243, Sxviper, RobbieD, IRONMAN
9668 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
Who's Online Now
0 registered members (), 71 guests, and 0 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod