I believe standard wheel weights have a brinnel hardness of about 16 and if you want to push a bullet to 1450+ you'll want to add tin to get it to 22-24. I don't cast as I don't have the time so you'll need to do some reading to get the correct ratio's as I don't remember what they are. The bullets your casting out of straight wheel weights are best kept around a 1000fps or less to avoid leading problems and I believe it's around 1200fps or so you start getting deformation issues. You can buy ingots from Midway but I don't remember if the were premixed or not and the guys that cast can probably tell you if you can add straight tin or not and where to get it. I had researched this pretty thoroughly as I was going to start casting but i'm lucky just to have time to reload with everything else I have going on. If I need cast now I just go with Oregon Trail True Cast which seem to have an Edge over Cast Performance which is my second choice but at this point with the new technology in jacketed bullets I've found that Jacketed bullets will handle anything in north america for sure most of what's in Africa short of rhino and elephant and then I'd go to a punch bullet of course I'm shooting larger calibers than the 1 too. There is something to be said though for money saved by casting your own.

Last edited by wapitirod; 08/08/2011 6:32 PM.

I won't be wronged. I won't be insulted. I won't be laid a-hand on. I don't do these things to other people, and I require the same from them. John Wayne-The Shootist