"...Now for the shock factor, when the bullet opens up in a body you need to remember that all living things are made mostly of water. When the bullet encounters these fluid and expands it rapidly slows not only cutting a larger wound channel but also creating a shock wave..... "

Once expansion has been achieved, the bullet is now in effect, a "solid". It is now frozen in that caliber.
SUDDENLY you have a larger caliber traveling through space.
If it happens INSTANTLY, like an explosion, then there may be some shock damage, like with a ballistic tip.
Most hunting rounds appear to be a "controlled expansion" design that spreads this expansion over a longer period.

If you start with that "larger caliber" already, and drive it to the same velocity (that is key), damage should be very similar.

In my experience it IS very similar, at least when comparing large solids, to small expanding.
A .480 Ruger shooting WFN solids, equals the damage caused by a .357 Mag with a quality JSP that has expanded. (Through a deers lungs).
WHEN both are traveling at the SAME velocity.

Now the .480 Solid has enough "beans", to penetrate the deer from any angle nature supplies me.
The .357 JSP, while more than adequate on SOME shots, is NOT suitable for ALL shots.
That is why many hunters carry solids.

Now you are comparing a 400gr .475 solid, and a.400gr .475 JHP, traveling at the same velocity.
And the .475 JHP expands, and exits at .50cal, then of course it "should" kill quicker.
It is now a larger caliber, and should let more blood out.

If you took a .50 cal bullet, and drove it to the EXACT same velocity that the .475 cal bullet was traveling, when it expanded, then the damage SHOULD be the same, assuming frontal area had the same shape.

I can't help but think you are mixing rifle bullet and handgun bullet science here(maybe I should specify revolver bullet).
From my experience, handgun ammo(except contender type semi-rifle ammo) rarely achieves the kind of velocity, to have any real arguement towards "Shockwave".

Last edited by dan480man; 09/02/2011 10:56 PM.