Originally Posted By: cottonstalk
whats funny is the hard cast folks never say jacketed don't work the just say they are unreliable,i.e.have failures to open,fragment or penetrate deep enough.I have shot enough jacketed to have witnessed all three and yes I know all jacketed are not created equal.

the jacketed posse claims every animal shot with a hard cast must be tracked and most are never recovered.

I have lost animals to both due to shot placement or other unknown reasons,since if you don't recover the animal,you truly don't know.

In any case I am glad animals can't read because if they could they'd be laughing at all of us.

"a small caliber high velocity rifle round will do more internal damage than a slower larger projectile"that may be so but it doesn't mean that the damage will be in the vitals.A 60gr @ 3500 will never equal a 180gr @ 2650.

Horse crap, that's what started all this, is the hard cast elite's putting down the jacketed bullets everytime they are brought up. I've always said I feel there is a place for both bullets and I even load both types of bullets. I've never said I would feel defensless with hard cast but at the same time not all jacketed bullets are equal and they don't all just fold up like they did in the days of Keith or Capstick. They both have pros and cons as I've said a hundred times but no one wants to read that part it's just the fact that I've offered an alternate way of thinking that has threatened them.

I even stated last week I'd be loading some 255gr CP's for my 44spcl and some 265's for my Walker conversion because at lower velocities they will penetrate further and whereas the 44 will be a back up gun I want that. The Walker I'm going with lead because they recommend not using jacketed because of possible pressure spikes from different copper alloys and wall thickness.

I could care less if someone hunts with cast but my point has always been that there is more options than just them out there in many cases if the bullet is selected properly and is constructed properly it can outperform hard cast when it comes to terminal ballistics. I remember one jab I took from you guys when I said I wouldn't have had a problem going after grizzly with my 460 S&W and 260gr Partitions running 2000fps even though those ballistics match some big bore carbines used for the same. But yet I was chastized for such a thought.

I think you should re read what I and others have said when this subject has come up before and see who's only seeing things one way. Whitworth said I should read McPhersons book maybe you guys should read Marks, I tend to think he's a much more accomplished handgun hunter than McPherson although I could be wrong. But the bottom line is I don't need a book to tell me what is fact, and if I were going to read a book it would be a text book to refresh my memory but I would still make my own judgments as I have.

I won't be wronged. I won't be insulted. I won't be laid a-hand on. I don't do these things to other people, and I require the same from them. John Wayne-The Shootist