We are talking about both, but the science is the same and what you showed there is correct. A perfect example would be two of my kills with rifles. I hit one with a 300RUM and a 200gr Accubond Running 3200fps. I made a perfect lung shot but even the heart was jello and the blood shot on the offside which is the direction the shockwave was going was bad and took up the majority of the rib cage. The next would be the example I used earlier of the Roosevelt I shot with a 45-70 running slower. I had excellent penetration and on the first shot the shock wave as well as the bullet impact destroyed the liver but I had much less blood shot, probably the size of a grapefruit or softball on the off side.

Now go to my deer and elk I killed last year with a handgun. I shot the elk with my Encore in 300Win using 180gr Accubonds with a mv of 2600fps. The Elk was at 253 yds which means impact velocity was about 2031 impact energy of 1649. I pulled the shot through a comedy of errors and hit high but although the bullet had slowed down it still doubled in diameter and retained 99% of it's weight. I had missed the spine by roughly two or three inches but it bloodshot the area around the spine and literally stunned the elk keeping him from being able to run and allowing the finishing shot. I have no doubt that had I been using a tougher bullet that failed to expand I would not have had enough shock value to stun the elks spine and stopping him from running off. The last example was my deer, shot off hand at about 15yds with a 3" 44spcl and 200gr nosler sporting handgun bullets. I again hit the deer in the lungs and the damage was devastating, the deer dropped within 20yds but I could actually see the her body flex like jello kind of like watching a kill shot on tv in slow motion, again there was blood shot on the far side where the bullet was recovered and it was probably a softball sized area.

I've only butchered one animal I killed with hard cast and the blood shot which again is caused by the shock wave was almost non existent and the other animals I've seen and pics I've seen including yours as well as the statements I've heard from others all show this to be consistent with hard cast bullets because the shock wave isn't as large or destructive. I've also noticed the organs seem to survive hard cast better as far as the condition of the surrounding tissue, obviously a hole is a hole but things don't always work perfect.

Just like in my cases, I don't care what they show on TV, if you hunt public land on a regular basis your going to eventually stretch shots or shoot moving animals because if you wait for the "perfect scenario" your out of luck. The animals are under heavy pressure and they are moving and jumpy and there may be someone a hundred or so yards from you without even knowing it and that guy is liable to dump that animal if you don't. I used to try and hike into the back country to get away from that and then I realized there were almost as many people there as there was back closer to town.

The effect of the shock wave goes up with frequency and amplitude which means it is more noticeable with high velocity rifle rounds but it exists to an extent in everything including an arrow. That reminds of something I was told by a bowhunter years ago and it may be another way to look at this. He was talking about the grief he got from gun hunters but he said it makes no sense because all these weapons have one thing in common the kill from causing an animal to hemorrhage.

Broadheads do it by cutting but generally have a larger cutting diameter, solids and hard cast do it by cutting vital organs or artery's but are held to the diameter the bullet started out but they are more efficient at breaking bone than arrows, next you have the softest jacketed bullets which kill by cutting but the diameter is greatly increased although penetration suffers but then you get into the shock wave which is almost like a secondary killing device. To me the best is in between whether talking rifles or handguns and as I've said many times you have to chose the right bullet for the right application. I prefer controlled expansion bullets for most hunting such as bonded or segmented bullets like the partition and A-frame, here you have the cutting effect that is enhanced by the larger cutting diameter, most will break bone and you have created a larger shock wave than a solid and regardless of how minimal the shockwave the larger the better.

The principal holds true regardless of the weapon the only difference is the intensity.

I won't be wronged. I won't be insulted. I won't be laid a-hand on. I don't do these things to other people, and I require the same from them. John Wayne-The Shootist