I'd like set up a light recoiling deer pistol for still hunting southeast deer within ~75 yards. I've 10" bull barrels in both 44 and 357 and a 2X scope for one of them, but am looking harder at the 357 firing 158gr XTP's charged with H110 for a few reasons: Seems like the round should have enough horsepower in my "G1" Contender (~1590 fps at the muzzle); lighter recoil than the 44; I don't currently own anything else in 44 (used to, and I can handload 44 too), but do in 357 - less loads to keep up with; in terms of pressure on my Contender frame, I was suprised that the 44 cartridge diameter and pressures are pretty close to its stretch limits; I have a scoped 30-30 Super 14 barrel if different circumstances require more range or power, so I'm thinking I don't need a 44 setup for those circumstances.

So those are the reasons I'm looking at setting up the 357. Help me out, why should I set up the 44 instead of selling the 44 barrel and dropping the caliber from my lexicon? Yeah, I'm trying to drop my inventory of firearms too.